terça-feira, 28 de agosto de 2012

As Cool As A Cucumber


 As cool as a cucumber: Calm and unruffled.

"Cool here means imperturbable rather than having a low temperature. Cucumbers are cool to the touch.
First recorded in John Gay's Poems, New Song on New Similies, 1732:

"I ... cool as a cucumber could see The rest of womankind."


"Calm and composed, self-possessed, as in Despite the mishap Margaret was cool as a cucumber ."
  This idiom may be based on the fact that in hot weather the inside of cucumbers remains cooler than the air.


I never thought about comparing someone to a cucumber…
 
The first time I read this expression I thought that cool meant great, attractive, beautiful and different, and it's very strange to think of cucumbers this way. That would be a "hot" cucumber??? No… I don't think so.
Then I realized that they were talking about the cucumber temperature. Hummmm… ok, It's weird anyway!

And you? Are you as cool as a cucumber even if you have a hot potato in your hands???


Your turn!!!
You can swap ideas and make your comments. Don't be shy and let your curiosity talk!


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário